Run as a Service (Windows)
Start as a server, dispatcher or satellite
The callas pdfaPilot Services application is only available for Windows at the moment.
1. Ensure there is an installation of callas pdfaPilot Server/CLI on the system and the application has been activated successfully.
2. A special executable, which is needed to run pdfaPilot as a service, is located in /cli/var/Service.
Copy the executable into the subfolder "/cli" of the application folder of the server installation.
3. To install, the following command has to be executed on the command line:
Please confirm the security question of Windows if shown.
4. Open the "Services dialog" of Windows. This dialog can easily opened by typing the following string into the search field of the Windows start menu or use the following command on the command line:
5. There should show up 3 new services:
- callas pdfaPilot Server
- callas pdfaPilot Satellite
- callas pdfaPilot Dispatcher
6. Select "pdfaPilot Server" and use the right-click menu item "Action" [or "Properties" depending on the Windows-version] in order to use this service and set in "General" the "Startup Type" to "Automatic" or "Manual".
When "Automatic" is choosen, every started job will continue processing, even when no user is logged on the system. It will even start processing, when the operating system is started.
When using "Automatic", also user details have to be entered into the "Log On" tab.
It must be ensured, that all folders used in the jobsettings can be accessed by the defined user (especially when network paths shall be used by the job).
Configuration of a job
Now a job can be configured using the ServerUI, which can be accessed using the Standalone version (Menu: Tools - Server).
When a job is started, pdfaPilot Standalone can be closed. The services apllication ensures, that the processing will continue even when the user is logging off.
Access by remote
It is possible to connect to a Server running as a service by remote via the local network.
Start pdfaPilot standalone, select menu: "Tools" - "Server" and choose
"Connect with remote server".
Enter the IP of the remote server where the service is running.
After connecting all jobs on the remote server are shown and can be started, stopped or even modified. (Hotfolder paths of any server jobs (IN, OUT, etc.) have to be configured so that they are valid from the service's perspective (the system where the service is running) - and not from the perspective of the controlling standalone application.)
If network paths are used for processing jobs, the user should have sufficient rights to access them.
There may be special requirements for converting Office files to PDF when using pdfaPilot as a service. Check http://www.callassoftware.com/goto/tbx_ENU_topdf for the latest details.
Note: In general it is recommended to grant the respective service user administrator privileges. If this level of rights can not set due to internal regulations, some additional settings within the operating system are recommended. Additional settings with limited user rights